What the White House Is Talking About: part 2

President Donald Trump has a Cabinet meeting today and later hosts a round table with people from the video game industry. He may also sign something to do with tariffs.

What the White House Press Corps Is Talking About:
Whether Trump is really mad at Sarah Sanders for the way she handled the Stormy Daniels questions at Wednesday's briefing. Also, what's the deal with the tariff signing? Today's briefing time is TBD.

"Rich Guys, They Love Rocket Ships": 
This quote from the President this morning during his Cabinet meeting has quickly moved to my Top 5 all-time favorite Trump quotes. The President was touting the advances the United States has made with space and space exploration, one of the topics of the meeting. He also said this about chief economic adviser Gary Cohn, who was literally sitting behind him: "I have a feeling you will be back. I don't know if I can put him in the same position though. He is not quite as strong on those tariffs as we want him to be." 


To Tariff or Not to Tariff:
The President's plan was initially to announce big trade and tariff rules -- and possibly sign something -- at today's 3:30 p.m. event, but then, late Wednesdaynight, the media heard from White House officials that the event wasn't going to happen, but then (wait for it), the President tweeted this morning he's looking forward to what he's now calling a "meeting." Is it me, or has this whole tariff rollout thing been sort of a disaster? 
"So, How'd It Go?":
Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure that's something Trump shouldn't be asking witnesses who have been called to interviews with special counsel Robert Mueller regarding the Russia investigation. However, according to The New York Times, that's basically what the President did.

Our Daily Melania:
The thing about this Stormy Daniels scandal is it just won't go away, which has to be frustrating for first lady Melania Trump. She's not commenting, and she hasn't so far, but it has *got* to be super-humiliating to keep seeing these headlines, and such pictures as the one Hunter's posted below. And let's not forget, it likely falls to the first lady to explain to her son, or steer him clear of, these stories.

But she's doing other stuff. This morning the first lady's office sent out an announcement that she will host the International Women of Courage Award for the second time at the State Department. Her remarks at last year's event were the first somewhat lengthy public sentences we'd heard from her since she became first lady. A White House official tells me that she will again make a speech of some length.

Maybe just because I have this Stormy Daniels stuff on the brain, but this part of the first lady's statement about her participation in today's awards ceremony stuck out to me: "(The honorees') courage only furthers my belief in the powerful impact women can make through solidarity and support of one another. Our strength is something to be celebrated. ..."

Cynthia Nixon Running for Governor Is Actually So Miranda:
Miranda was always the one with the most activism, and the most vocal about rights, especially when it came to women. She counseled Charlotte about her prenup with Trey, she wasn't worried about making more money than Steve, she worked her ass off to make partner in her law firm, she had a baby without being married, etc. I know I'm mixing fiction with reality here, but learning Cynthia Nixon might challenge Andrew Cuomo in the Democratic primary for governor of New York makes me geek out in a way that only my love for "Sex and the City" can. 
Guys, I Maybe Can't With International Women's Day:
Let me just say upfront: I'm sorry, and please don't @ me. I don't know if I can handle my social media feeds on International Women's Day. There's a lot of self-service happening. I know that's difficult to accept, but let's be honest, this day is for many people, politicians and organizations, a 24-hour excuse to say stuff about themselves that's more "look at me, I'm awesome," than "look at women and inequality, and let's literally change some of these atrocities in a tangible way." That said, I feel the same way about international pet day because everyone says theirs is the best. So this could be a personality deficiency on my part. Thanks for listening.

Dress Like the Future Princess:
Meghan Markle is killing it in the fashion department. And she's also taken a liking to belted coats, which is something Melania Trump likes, too. Unfortunately, the J. Crew one she wore today (this navy wool number with white trim) is sold out. 


But you can buy her amazing pumps, which are likely these Manolo Blahniks. I know they're expensive, $625 here, but having bought mine 15 years ago, they're a staple, and if you take care of them, Manolos last a long, long time. The Altuzarra bag is this cute top-handle model, here for $1,595
A group of 107 House Repubs sent a letter to President Trump asking him to reconsider his tariffs "to avoid unintended negative consequences to the US economy and its workers," and former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski testified before the House Intelligence Committee. He could be among the final witnesses in the committee's Russia investigation, as several lawmakers said they'll soon be prepared to create a written report of their findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rich Uncle